Our Online Store have the new products: RFID antenna board. Currently it can work with JC10M24R and JCOP4 card chips.
Compared with normal cards, the antenna board module has a smaller size and fixed holes, which is easy to integrate in the IOT(Internet Of Things) project.

Best way to store key

Algorithm School

Moderator: UNKNwYSHSA

Joanly

Best way to store key

Post by Joanly » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:20 am

I need to decrypt AES-encrypted data in my applet. And I have put the key which is used to encrypt data clearly in my applet constructor. Is it safe to have this key obviously in my code? For security, what is a proper way to do this?

Code: Select all

public BWApplet() {

byte[] aesKeyArray = {     (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA,     
                        (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA,
                        (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA,
                        (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA, (byte)0xAA};

}

mabel

Re: Best way to store key

Post by mabel » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:36 am

You can pass it through the install parameters for the applet and use the card DEK key for the secure session. Then you store the byte array in a key object. It would be easier to extract keys if they are stored in an array.

tay00000

Re: Best way to store key

Post by tay00000 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:19 am

A more permanent solution that solves all the problem is to have the card own it's own RSA keypair. The card's RSA keypair would be generated via the genKeyPair() method for the RSA 2048 bit key when the applet is installed via it's register() method.

Then you extract the public key and use the public key to wrap your future keys and deposit it within the card. This way neither do you need to hard-code the AES key in the applet nor do you need to leak the key via the applet installation process as applet installation may or may nor run with encryption enabled.

Thus, the safer option is for all applets to own their internally generated keypairs for wrapping and attesting the applet identity.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic