We are very excited to launch a brand new product - LibSC Reader Kit.

LibSC Reader Kit developed by JavaCardOS Technologies is implemented based on Arduino hardware platform and this kit provides simple universal card reader's functions.

And this time we have launched two kinds of development kit - LibSC Reader Kit and LibSC Reader Kit pro.

Please check this page for more release details.

An issue with the verification of ECDSA

Algorithm School

Moderator: UNKNwYSHSA

Norbert78

An issue with the verification of ECDSA

Postby Norbert78 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:01 am

Hi forum,
since I started working with Java Cards, I got a lot of valuable information from the discussions in this forum here. After a few weeks of playing around with some code in a simulator and in one of my last steps before finishing up the project, I'm now stuck since a few days. In this situation, I hope for some suggestions on how to proceed with debugging some annoying error.

I'm trying to calculate a signature based on the NIST P-192 curve. This works pretty well but now I'm trying to validate the signature. And when I try to init the ecdsa object for the purpose of verification, I'm getting an error (ILLEGAL_VALUE). The interesting aspect is that initialization works fine for the purpose of creating a signature and that the error only occurs in MODE_VERIFY. My best guess is that is has something to do with the public key but I cannot find any reason....

I copied the relevant parts of my code below. I hope that this is enough code to get an actual overview.

Any suggestions/ideas would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

- N

Code: Select all

private void ecc_verify(APDU apdu) {

byte[] buffer = apdu.getBuffer();

GenEccKeyPair();

short lenOfMessage = (short)(LEN_OF_MESSAGE - SIGNATURE_LEN);
      ECPublicKey testkey = (ECPublicKey)eccKey.getPublic();
      try {
         //This is where the error is thrown. Error is 01, ILLEGAL_VALUE
         ecdsa.init(eccKey.getPublic(), Signature.MODE_VERIFY);
      }

catch (CryptoException e) {

short reason = e.getReason();
         ISOException.throwIt((short) ((short) 0x6B00 | reason));

}
      //Verify the signature of input data against the passed in ECC signature.

boolean ret = ecdsa.verify(buffer, (short)ISO7816.OFFSET_CDATA, lenOfMessage, buffer, (short)(ISO7816.OFFSET_CDATA + lenOfMessage), (short)SIGNATURE_LEN);
      buffer[(short)0] = ret ? (byte)1 : (byte)0;
      apdu.setOutgoingAndSend((short)0, (short)1);
   }

private void GenEccKeyPair() {

byte[] tempBuffer = JCSystem.makeTransientByteArray((short)256, JCSystem.CLEAR_ON_DESELECT);

if (eccKeyInitialized)
         return;

//Create a ECC(ALG_ECDSA_SHA) object instance
      ecdsa = Signature.getInstance(Signature.ALG_ECDSA_SHA, false);

//Constructs a KeyPair instance for the specified algorithm and keylength;
      eccKey = new KeyPair(KeyPair.ALG_EC_FP, KeyBuilder.LENGTH_EC_FP_192);

// prepare an ANSI X9.62 uncompressed EC point representation for G
      byte[] auxBuffer = JCSystem.makeTransientByteArray(((short)(EC192_FP_G_X.length + EC192_FP_G_Y.length + 1)), JCSystem.CLEAR_ON_DESELECT);

short gSize = (short) 1;
      gSize += (short) EC192_FP_G_X.length;
      gSize += (short) EC192_FP_G_Y.length;
      auxBuffer[0] = 0x04;
      short off = 1;
      off = Util.arrayCopyNonAtomic(EC192_FP_G_X, (short) 0, auxBuffer, off, (short) EC192_FP_G_X.length);
      Util.arrayCopyNonAtomic(EC192_FP_G_Y, (short) 0, auxBuffer, off, (short) EC192_FP_G_Y.length);

((ECPrivateKey)eccKey.getPrivate()).setFieldFP(EC192_FP_P, (short)0, (short)EC192_FP_P.length);
      ((ECPrivateKey)eccKey.getPrivate()).setA(EC192_FP_A, (short)0, (short)EC192_FP_A.length);
      ((ECPrivateKey)eccKey.getPrivate()).setB(EC192_FP_B, (short)0, (short)EC192_FP_B.length);
      ((ECPrivateKey)eccKey.getPrivate()).setG(auxBuffer, (short)0, gSize);
      ((ECPrivateKey)eccKey.getPrivate()).setR(EC192_FP_R, (short)0, (short)EC192_FP_R.length);

((ECPublicKey)eccKey.getPublic()).setFieldFP(EC192_FP_P, (short)0, (short)EC192_FP_P.length);
      ((ECPublicKey)eccKey.getPublic()).setA(EC192_FP_A, (short)0, (short)EC192_FP_A.length);
      ((ECPublicKey)eccKey.getPublic()).setB(EC192_FP_B, (short)0, (short)EC192_FP_B.length);
      ((ECPublicKey)eccKey.getPublic()).setG(auxBuffer, (short)0, gSize);
      ((ECPublicKey)eccKey.getPublic()).setR(EC192_FP_R, (short)0, (short)EC192_FP_R.length);

eccKey.genKeyPair();

eccKeyInitialized = true;

}

private byte[] ecc_sign(byte[] dtbs) {
      GenEccKeyPair();
      byte[] signature;
      signature = JCSystem.makeTransientByteArray((short)SIGNATURE_LEN, JCSystem.CLEAR_ON_DESELECT);

ecdsa.init(eccKey.getPrivate(), Signature.MODE_SIGN);

short lenTmp = ecdsa.sign(dtbs, (short)0, (short)dtbs.length, signature, (short)0);

return signature;
   }

mabel

Re: An issue with the verification of ECDSA

Postby mabel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 am

If convenient, would you show us your whole project in order to let us confirm where is the problem?

lostsiwonlw

Re: An issue with the verification of ECDSA

Postby lostsiwonlw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Just cut your applet to a small applet which only includes ECC function. Of course, make sure that this small applet can run w/o any problem.
Searching for meaning...

Return to “Algorithm School”